Florida Post-Divorce Modifications: What You Need to Know

Divorce Modifications

Many people are under the impression that once a judge finalizes a divorce ruling, the affected parties have no say as to how the arrangement applies to the future. However, certain circumstances warrant modification to an existing divorce decree.

Which Circumstances Qualify for a Modification?

Just as there are many reasons for divorcing, there are many reasons for seeking a modification. Some common reasons are:

  • change in employment;
  • economic downturn (bankruptcy);
  • serious illness;
  • debilitating injury;
  • relocation; and/or
  • change in the status of a dependent.

Whether seeking to modify alimony, child custody, or visitation, there are two ways to achieve this in a Florida court. The parties can reach a mutual agreement before filing the request or either party can file a petition for modification.

When both parties agree on what should be modified, the process goes quickly. When the parties cannot agree, however, a divorce modification attorney can file a petition for modification on your behalf. The party who files the petition must also notify the other side and wait 20 days for their response.

A Florida court will not always grant a request for modification. For example, if the party requesting modification has not consistently paid alimony or child support the court may order that party to pay what they owe rather than modify the payment plan for them.

A Professional Modification Attorney

Attorney Jody L. Fisher is well-versed in matters that warrant a divorce modification. Our lawyer will do everything she can to have your case accepted and heard in front of a judge.

Call our firm today at (352) 503-4111 or contact us online to schedule your consultation.

Related Posts
  • Can I Reduce My Alimony Payments? Read More